Thursday, January 19

The Simple Woman's Gazette :: Whatsoever Things...{January/February 2023 Issue}

 


~Issue 4 ~ 2023~

Inside this issue:
 
-Pages-

from my desk - greetings 
one by one a thankful heart
sing praise - listen and worship
at the well - living water
home and hearth - the loving and the keeping
a woman's altar - pressing in and digging deeper
noteworthy - too good not to share
the archivesfrom the simple woman



From My Desk...

Hello and welcome to the January/February 2023 issue of The Simple Woman's Gazette! 
Another year, a new month, a clean slate to begin things afresh. 

This year I am planning on sending out 6 issues instead of my original thought of one per month. After posting them here, I usually put a link on my Facebook page, The Simple Woman and my Instagram page, The Simple Woman for those who do not subscribe here. I have links on the sidebar to both (under "Find Me"), but after this issue I will not be posting on Instagram anymore and that link on the sidebar will be removed in a few weeks. For now I will continue posting fresh content and links to the Gazette at Facebook.

***
I almost let the ball drop once again, not sure I wanted to continue with another blog post. I had to really think through my reasons and to get over the hurdle of "Is it still of value or has it had it's time?". 

I have struggled with the thought of the internet for years now, back and forth, love and hate, using it and having it use me and I see all of the damage it is now causing our culture. Not that it wasn't years before, but time is passing, the verdict is out and it is a glaring poison to not only us, but sadly our youth who now use the spoon of choice to sip from, their phone.

Yes, there are good things that have become available to us through the use of technology, but what has been the sacrifice of use and use and...

I often think to myself how thankful I am that we got our children raised before it became idolized. Now, I pray for my grandchildren and for their parents that they would have courage to set strong boundaries, stay alert, not get pulled into the mainstream, to be an example to them and stand firm of what matters most.
 
I think that was part of the thought I had in continuing the blog. It just does not hold the same luster and glow as before, but believe me when I say, it once did. New and shiny it came along enticing me to jump on the bandwagon, to try out all the bells and whistles until all the sense of "what I had before and now I have lost" were gone. Oh! I did not know at the time the water in the pot was growing warmer and warmer, and if I had I ignored it. 

I wonder how many of us, who are now older still carry the burn scars on our minds from this idol. I am sure that some feel the same as I do, but others are still not feeling the heat on their souls or smell the smoke going up their nose. The ash pile that is being left in the wake of years spent frying our senses. I grieve this loss for people...

Ok, I will stop before I go any further because it gets ugly. But this is what is on a deep part of my heart as I near the wrestled end of what I continue to delete, unsubscribe, unfollow, hide, and remove from my time of lament and healing spent coming into the light and truth. 

Below I added a song that speaks to me out of my hurt for anyone who finds themselves a prisoner to their phone or computer and needing a few moments of introspection.

Lord, speak what is true!

~One By One~

for blue skies in winter
seed catalogs that bring a promise of Spring
resources that deepen my Bible knowledge
steadfast women of the faith
new Wednesday night service at church


~Sing Praise~


~At The Well~
Beatitudes For Homemakers

Blessed is she whose daily tasks are a work of love; for her willing hands and happy heart transform duty into joyous service to all her family and God.

Blessed is she who opens the door to welcome both stranger and well-loved friends; for gracious hospitality is a test of brotherly love.

Blessed is she who mends both stockings and broken toys and broken hearts; for her understanding is a balm to her husband and children.

Blessed is she who scours and scrubs; for well she knows that cleanliness is one expression of Godliness.

Blessed is she whom children love; for the love of a child is greater value than fortune or fame.

Blessed is she who sings in her work; for music lightens the heaviest load and brightens the dullest chore.

Blessed is she who dusts away doubt and fear and sweeps all the cobwebs of confusion; for her faith will triumph over all adversity.

Blessed is she who serves laughter and smiles with every meal; for her cheerfulness is an aid to mental and physical digestion.

Blessed is she who introduces Jesus Christ to her children; for Godly sons and daughters shall be her reward.

Blessed is she who preserves the sacredness of the Christian home; for hers is a divine trust that crowns her with dignity.

Ella May Miller

~Home and Hearth~

Oatmeal Cake
1 cup oats
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 and 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 and 1/2 cups boiling water
1 teas. baking soda

Grease and flour pan (I use a glass cake pan) 
Place oatmeal in bowl, add water, let stand 20 minutes. 
Combine butter and sugar, beat in 2 tbsp. water and eggs. 
Stir well.
Add in oatmeal mixture, pour batter.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees 
 I have served this hot for breakfast as it is hearty and filling.

When cooled I sometimes add a
dusting of powdered sugar for pretty.


 ~A Woman's Altar~

His Name

 As you all know our nation is in turmoil at this time in our history. With that, comes my choice of names to share with you this issue. ALPHA and OMEGA~
the First and the Last. 

I love this name for our God...the beginning and the ending...before all things and after all things.

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, says the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."
Revelation 1:8


This is indeed powerful and all encompassing encouragement for those of us living today. There has been much written about the beginning of time. In the book of Genesis, we learn it as a child, it is a very familiar passage of scripture but little has been written by man about the end times, however it is ALL in the book of Revelation. While it is very difficult to fully understand these end time chapters, we can grasp the finality of time and space and all that we know here on earth.

I believe the Bible and I believe that our God is in all things and in all things yet to come. He is like the master at Chess who knows where each piece will be moved next. He knows how the board will look days from now, months from now, years from now and I might add with joy in my heart and overflowing love for him...he knows how the "game" will end. That said, I do not have to fear, nor fret, nor worry, nor feel confusion over any and I mean any of the goings on in our society.

In my mind that is at peace and rest, it is already over, it is a done deal! The Lord will have his way as it is written. This is my faith and the love I feel for my Master and creator. He is my beginning and my ending...praise his Holy Name!!

Until HE comes...


~Noteworthy~


"In an effort to make Christianity palatable to our soft, self-centered generation, we have preached a diluted message that sidesteps the issue of sin, eliminates the demands of the cross, and overlooks the need for conviction and repentance.⁠"

Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth

~ The Archives

 (taken from my notebook of written memories 2008)

Where is your hope this morning? Does it not feel good to share this hope with one another, to unashamedly share of this love? In that others may see the peace we have, the hope that we have and that it is of God and not in anything else. Some days that is all that we have. 
~~~
I awoke this morning to a quiet home with still sleeping children, tucked in their nest savoring the last few deep breaths of sleep. Safe and sound in the assurance that their Momma would be there in the kitchen to greet them when they awoke. To make them a warm breakfast, to hug them in the way they know best, that they would know what the plan is for the day and be alongside of them to carry it out.

In much the same way, I slept in peace knowing that when I gave in to the new day, that the Lord would be there as he always is to greet me with soul food. His love for me that is all surrounding, without end, knowing he holds the plan for my day and will walk beside me to carry it out. 
Oh! the blessed assurance.



Until next time...

In closing, I pray that this issue of The Simple Woman's Gazette has been a blessing to you. Would you consider sharing it with others or sharing the link to my blog. I would appreciate it very much!

If you would like to drop me a line, please feel free to do so by emailing thesimplewoman@gmail.com or you could always leave a comment. 

I welcome your thoughts!

Finally brothers and sisters, whatsoever things are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable,—if there is any moral excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy—think (dwell) on these things.

Philippians 4:8

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/19/2023

    Hi Peggy! I enjoyed reading your simple woman’s gazette! You are a very gifted writer! Hugs, Connie S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could be of any encouragement I would love you to know that I too have the exact same struggles. And am thankful that our children were raised before all of this mess. However, after praying so hard and seeking the lord I have found it to be of truth that Peggy this internet and specifically Instagram it needs older women like us! I have dug my heels in and have found a place where you get women are literally craving what we onced had and if we are just there to gently nudge and remind them they are eating up the lifestyle and embracing being women mothers and wives of the lord!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are being an example and have found a place to do so.

      Delete
  3. I certainly enjoyed reading this and needed it today. I have been struggling with my duty at home and how I feel at times that it is so not important. God has allowed me to have many talents to bring to my home and I am working on some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Carol. Yes! continue on. :-)

      Delete
  4. The song by Casting Crowns is great, a wonderful song of praise. I enjoy Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth and used to listen to her radio program each weekday. And oh how I agree, we do have Blessed Assurance that He will return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 63 still teaching special needs prek children and just became a full time empty nester as daughter #2 has flown the coop. Thankfully we LOVE technology but we also know the pitfalls (it helps to have a husband whose entire career has been software development...he wrote the program that runs the Disney Magic cruise ships!!). We are not addicted to our phones thankfully. I pray often that my girls (ages 29 and 24) continue to deepen their friendships with their friends, continue to trust God for their lives.....my husband is a bit addicted to his phone because of the easy access to podcasts on all kinds of Bible teachings, computer learning, etc. But it definitely has had an affect on our relationship. We have to be intentional about date nights, conversation, etc. I love your thoughts on Revelation. Great scripture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith. Yes, finding balance is key.

      Delete

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts.