Tuesday, April 23

A Prayer for Womanhood



A Prayer for Womanhood

God, give each true good woman
Her own small house to keep

No heart should ache with longing
No hurt should go too deep

Grant her age-old desire
A house to love and sweep

Give her a man beside her
A kind man, and a true

And let them work together
And love, a lifetime through

And let her mother children
As gentle women do

Give her a shelf for dishes
And a shining box for bread

A white cloth for her table
And a white spread for her bed

A shaded lamp at nightfall
And a row of books much read

God, let her work with laughter
And let her rest with sleep

No life can truly offer
A peace more sure and deep

God, give each true woman
Her own small house to keep

~Grace Noll Crowell



5 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for sharing this! Grace Noll Crowell is one of my favorite poets. I have a small collection of her books that are autographed, as my Great Aunt had met and known her during the early half of the last century. Her words have always brought me such encouragement. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. And I recognize books by Gladys Tabor there on your desk also! I have loved her writing for years too. Thank you for bringing me such sweet memories and joy tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was lovely!! Like something right out of the 1800s!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this prayer and it is exactly what I want for me. Thank you Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful prayer and poem, thank you for your writing and sharing xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts.